Hearing loss is something that is common among the elderly. There are a number of options available to the elderly for tackling hearing loss. Some of them opt for lifestyle modifications, while most opt for hearing aids. Despite the success of the hearing aids, many of them are not within reach of the common man due to cost and other accessibility issues. But does this mean that you should do without a hearing aid? Definitely not! Loss of hearing may lead to long-term isolation and severe cognitive issues in the long term. So it’s all the more important that you get the right hearing aid. Read on to learn about five considerations you must have while purchasing hearing aids.
Recommended Read: 5 Common Health Concerns for Seniors
Know the key features of a hearing aid
Your hearing aid should include the following:
- Custom programming, wherein the inbuilt sound processor is calibrated to your level of hearing and does not overdo or under project sounds.
- It should have an automatic gain control, which will enable you to moderate the sounds heard, by filtering out high decibel sounds to help you hear low decibel sounds.
- It should be able to perform directional processing by enhancing the sounds that are in the foreground and filter out the unnecessary sounds in the background.
- It should enable greater amplification.
- It should have a feedback manager.
- A noise reduction system to make sounds comfortable to listen.
- Speech intelligibility which will pick up speech over other sounds like fans, motors, air conditioners.
- A telecoil that connects to telephones.
You should know what to expect
Many people expect to have their full hearing restored. But that is not what hearing aids do. Depending on the technology and the brand, there will be differences. And it will take some time for you to adjust to the new level of hearing. If you have never had an average level of hearing, it will be tough to adjust to the hearing aid for a while.
Do some research before choosing a hearing aid
Some companies offer really good hearing aids at affordable prices, or even at discounts. So if cost is a concern, do keep a lookout for a good deal. Also, if possible, try to get a hearing aid with the latest features. There are constant breakthroughs being made in the hearing technology space that it would be worth keeping abreast with. There are also other hearing products which you could consider, like neck loops etc.
Do check if your insurance plan covers a hearing aid. Some insurance plans have hearing aids coverage. Consult your insurance agent to explore your options.
If you follow the aforementioned pointers meticulously, you’ll soon be listening to all the great sounds of the world through a good hearing aid!
Keep yourself updated with the latest on Healthy Aging. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for more on Health, Diet & Nutrition and Fitness. Also, check out our Health Tools and try out our health-related Quizzes.