Staying healthy feels like an insurmountable task when you already have a packed schedule. Exercising or cooking a healthy meal are the last things on your mind when you have a never-ending to-do list already waiting for you.
Homemade meals are the best when it comes to health, but it is not always possible to prepare your meal from scratch. If your schedule allows for it, you must consider making your meal yourself, because you then have full control over the ingredients used.
In case you don’t get the time to prepare dinner, however, don’t binge on unhealthy food options. Opt for low-carb frozen meals instead. These frozen foods are the great shortcuts to healthy dieting.
Recommended Read: How to Choose Healthy Frozen Foods
The low carb diet is commonly known as a diet that helps in weight-loss. Linking a low-carb diet to weight loss alone is undermining its potential. Low-carb foods are good for the stomach, i.e. they help the digestive system stay on track. They help to normalize the blood pressure and are also known to reverse type 2 diabetes, along with many other health benefits. They are suitable for all ages, so your whole family can have the same kind of dinner together.
When you know, the week is going to be very busy just stack your refrigerator with these low carb frozen foods. When you feel hungry, use the frozen packs instead of waiting for junk food to be delivered to you. You can try preparing healthy frozen meals when you are free and store them in airtight containers for the week.
The low calorie frozen meals can include different types of salads, like Tuna salad, chickpea salad, salmon salad, grilled chicken salad etc. Once you prepare and store them, you just take them out and serve cold whenever needed.
Recommended Read: 7 Foods You Should Keep In Your Fridge At All Times
Before picking up low carb foods, you must check for their ingredients and calorie count. It is suggested that every meal should contain 5-20gms of carbs.
Always keep the following pointers in mind while choosing a low carb frozen meal.
- Remember to include meat and vegetables in your meal. Chicken and Vegetable stir fry is one of the best options. If you get bored of chicken, then you can try Beef Merlot as a replacement.
- Choose a meal with lean protein and non-starchy vegetables. Starchy vegetables include all the tuberous plants, which are very high in carbohydrates.
- Consider choosing a meal with vegetables from the flowering parts of a plant. These may include cucumber, cauliflower, asparagus, cabbage and broccoli etc.
- Avoid those meals that are loaded with sodium and refined carbohydrates. And choose the meal with more protein than carbs.
- Don’t freak out if the labels tell you that the meal contains 10-15gms fat. Just like proteins, fibres etc. fats are also required for our body. What matters is the source of the fat – if it’s salmon or healthy oils, then there’s nothing to worry about.
- Avoid those meals that include white rice, white bread and pasta. Choose those with brown rice or whole-grain pasta, as they are rich in fiber.
- Pick up those meals with a calorie count 250-300.
- Saturated fat content should not cross the limit of 4gms.
Now that you know about choosing low carb frozen meals; you should also know these alone are not enough for your overall health. You should couple your low carb frozen meals with some servings of fruits, salads, Greek yogurt, hard-boiled egg, cottage cheese etc. Adding these side foods with loads of vitamins, minerals, and fibre will ensure that you maintain a healthy nutritional profile.
Being busy does not mean you can’t take care of your health and nutrition. You just need to make a few smart decisions to keep your family, and yourself, healthy
Keep yourself updated with the latest on Diet and Nutrition. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for more on Health, Fitness and Health Recipes. Also, check out our Health Tools and try out our health-related Quizzes.