Look closely at your fingernails. Do they look healthy and strong to you? Did you find any dents, ridges, unusual color or shape? Proper fingernail care can help you avoid several undesirable nail conditions. In some cases, the state of your nails may indicate another health issue that needs your attention.
Your fingernails are made of laminated layers of a protein known as keratin. Nails can be the most attractive part of your body if they are maintained properly.
The keratin in nails grows from the area at the base of the nail that is referred to as the cuticle. Healthy fingernails appear without any grooves or pits and are always smooth. They are uniform in color, have consistency without any discoloration, and are free of spots.
Sometimes you may find ridges in fingernails from the cuticle to the tip. These are harmless but tend to become more evident with age. If you see any discoloration or brittleness, it may indicate a deficiency of a significant supplement. Consult a doctor or dermatologist to rectify the deficiency or defect.
Recommended Read: Best Natural Beauty Products You Can Use
Some of the fingernail problems that it is important to rectify are
- Thinning or thickening of nails
- Change in the shape or the color of the fingernails, wherein dark streaks are formed under them.
- Inflammation of cuticles or separation of nails from the skin with brittleness.
- Bleeding around the nails, which can painful, and a critical cause for concern.
- Swelling or severe pain around the ingrown fingernails.
Therefore, it is essential to take care of your nails on a regular basis to avoid nail related health problems.
Few tips to keep your fingernails healthy
- Always make sure you keep your fingernails clean and dry. It prevents accumulation of bacteria under nails.
- Prolonged contact with water can lead to splitting of fingernails. Therefore, wear gloves to avoid prolonged contact with water.
- Use cotton lined gloves while washing utensils or when using chemicals that can damage nails.
- Make sure to maintain hygiene. Regular trimming of nails can help you avoid the need for fingernail fungus treatment.
- Apply moisturizer on regular basis or cuticle cream that can help to maintain healthy and strong nails.
Recommended Read: Aloe Vera: Your Skin’s Best Friend
- If you face a problem of brittle nails, use a nail strengthening cream.
- Biotin deficiency can sometimes lead to brittle fingernails.
- Consult a dermatologist who can suggest nutritional supplements to strengthen brittle nails.
The following are a few suggestions, which, if followed, can result in strong and healthy nails
- Avoid biting nails or picking the cuticle when you are under pressure. Such habits can damage the nails and cuticle, which can lead to an infection.
- Minor cuts need to be adequately dressed else they may lead to bacterial growth that can cause severe nail infections.
- Hangnails should be tackled carefully. Therefore, rip the hangnails with care, else you might remove the live tissue along with the hangnails.
- Limit the usage of harsh nail products like nail polish remover. Instead, use an acetone-free product for nails that can help in maintaining the glossiness of nails.
- Make use of nail care options such as manicures and pedicures, that can help in maintaining healthy fingernails.
- Stick to the beauty centers that have the proper equipment for doing the same.
- Be sure that the tools used are sterilized, to make sure they don’t cause any infections in the nails.
Most of us neglect our nails and do not provide them with the proper care they need. It is essential to note that some deficiencies are indicated through nails. Therefore observing the health and texture of nails is very important for leading a healthy life.
Blue nails indicate the insufficient supply of blood in the body. The most commonly observed indication is white spots on nails, which shows that there is a low level of calcium in the body that is needed to maintain healthy bones.
Intake of foods like papaya, calcium-rich foods, and vitamin B rich foods can help in maintaining healthy nails. Vitamin D can be useful in curing ridges of nails whereas Vitamin C can cure split nails. Painting the nails with fresh lemon juice can also help in maintaining healthy nails.
Keep yourself updated with the latest on Beauty. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for more on Health, Diet & Nutrition and Fitness. Also, check out our Health Tools and try out our health-related Quizzes.