Being presentable goes beyond your mere appearance. How you smell matters a lot, and that’s why we need deodorants. Deodorants are necessary no matter where you live; whether you are heading out for work, a date, or any other event or occasion. They’ve become an indispensable part of our daily lives. And when it comes to deodorants, we’re pretty spoilt for choice. But have you ever considered how potentially harmful the chemical ingredients of most commercially available deodorants are for your skin? Even if you have, you’d probably continue using those deodorants because you may not be aware of any healthier alternatives. Well, we’re here to change that! Read on to learn everything you need to know about natural deodorants.
What are natural deodorants?
Natural antiperspirants and deodorants are prepared solely using natural ingredients and are therefore among the safest ways to keep your body dry, sweat-free, and smelling good, throughout the day.
How are they made?
There are many ways you can prepare natural deodorants. Coconuts and baking soda are commonly used ingredients in many natural deodorant preparations. The recipe that we recommend is one which uses Shea butter. This particular natural deodorant, in addition to being highly effective, has the added benefit of maintaining the softness, and the moisture content, of the skin.
How to prepare natural deodorants?
This is how you prepare the Shea butter deodorant mentioned above. You will need:
- Three tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Three tablespoons of baking soda.
- Two tablespoons of Shea butter.
- Two tablespoons of arrowroot or cornstarch that is organic, as the regular cornstarch can irritate the skin.
- Essential oils, for improved fragrance.
This is how you prepare it:
- Take a boiler, and melt the Shea butter and the coconut oil over medium heat, till they are melted completely.
- Turn the heat off. Then add the baking soda powder to the heated mixture, along with the arrowroot powder. Mix them well.
- Add the essential oils that you want to include. Store the mixture in a glass container or bottle, for use.
Alternatively, you might want to try out the Coconut oil deodorant. To prepare that, you will need:
- Six tablespoons of coconut oil.
- 1/4th cup of baking soda or 4 tablespoons.
- 1/4th cup of organic starch or arrowroot.
- Essential oils, depending on your requirement.
Here is how you prepare it:
- Take a bowl and mix the arrowroot and the baking soda well.
- Put the coconut oil into the mixture.
- Put few drops of the essential oils of your choice, for fragrance, and store the mixture in small glass jars for use.
You can also use baking soda alone to prepare a natural deodorant. Baking soda deodorants are particularly effective when it comes to soaking sweat. Adding a bit of cornstarch to the preparation will make your skin drier when you use it.
Recommended Read: Body Wash, Shower Gel, or Bar Soap – What to Choose?
Benefits of switching to natural deodorants
Most of the deodorants that you find in the market contain aluminum, which is effective in soaking the sweat by reacting with the sweat’s molecules. But these deodorants are toxic for the skin and it can, therefore, be highly disadvantageous to use them. By using natural deodorants, you significantly cut down on risks to the health of your skin, and your health in general. Moreover, preparing and using natural deodorants may well be the more economical option.
So what are you waiting for? Head to the kitchen, and prepare these natural deodorants. Before long, you’ll be smelling good and feeling fresh!
Keep yourself updated with the latest on Beauty. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for more on Health, Diet & Nutrition and Fitness. Also, check out our Health Tools and try out our health-related Quizzes.