Given the hectic lifestyles, people lead in contemporary times, stress plays a significant role in almost all health issues. An ever-increasing number of people are getting trapped in a vicious stress cycle. More work may offer better job satisfaction, but it also results in increased stress. People who overwork can become depressed, and the road to recovery from depression can be quite long and challenging. Burnout caused by work stress can be disastrous to your health. So, recognizing the signs and symptoms of work-related stress is essential, to prevent further damage.
Recommended Read: Beat Your Stress Through Exercises
Read on to learn about some early warning signs of work-stress that you should definitely watch out for.
- Trouble Sleeping: If you have trouble sleeping, then work-related stress just might be one of the causes. Moreover, changes in your sleeping patterns can be another indicator of your job stressing you out. Irregular sleeping patterns can lead to a number of health issues like insomnia, vertigo etc. Your body needs adequate rest for the brain and other vital organs to function correctly.
- Altered Appetite: If you are skipping breakfast just because you aren’t feeling hungry, you need to take note. Not feeling hungry may be a sign that your job is stressing you out. If your work life puts you under constant pressure, you are bound to skip a lot of meals. Skipping meals can make the digestive system malfunction, and cause severe damage to your health. Thus, keep track on your daily food intake, and be sure to never skip a meal.
Recommended Read: 7 Must-Have Foods to Reduce Anxiety and Stress
- Aches and Pains: Sitting on a chair that is uncomfortable while still doing loads of work can be disastrous to your health. Prolonged hours of work can cause the body aches and pains. If poor ergonomics can’t explain the pain, then this might be a sign and symptom that you are suffering from extreme job stress. Any sudden illness is a sign from the body that you are overloading yourself.
- Feeling Lonely: You may have plenty of friends and loved ones, yet you feel lonely and depressed. Well, this could be a symptom of overwork. Stress can depress you, and you may also cut off from your loved ones. Loneliness usually occurs when you have a hectic workload and are unable to give time to anyone or anything else in life. The best thing you can do is prioritize, and do other things apart from work, to maintain a good work-life balance.
- Constant Cold: When you are under continuous work pressure, the body’s immune system becomes weak. When you put all your energy towards your work, your body has no power left to fight microbes, and as a result, you are constantly plagued by a cold. Hence, pay attention. If you suffer from constant chills, it’s time to take a break from work and rest.
- Short Temper: If you find yourself getting angry for the most trivial reasons, then you quite possibly may be under a lot of stress at work. You may get agitated for no reason, and may even get needlessly angry. Snappiness can be one of the worst signs and symptoms of stress due to work pressure.
- Burnout: Burnout can be a state of stress, which ultimately leads to an emotional and physical exhaustion. If you think that you are experiencing burnout on a regular basis, kindly see a doctor – as in the long run, burnout can even be life-threatening.
Recommended Read: Tips to Handle Stress During Pregnancy
Knowing the seven signs that indicate that your job is stressing you out is the first step to reducing stress and achieving a good work-life balance. Understanding what to do to relieve stress and becoming healthy is the next step. Remember always – Health is Wealth.
Keep yourself updated with the latest on Mental Wellbeing. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for more on Health, Healthy Aging and Diet & Nutrition. Also, check out our Health Tools and try out our health-related Quizzes.