To improve the back’s flexibility and prevent muscle strain, stretching is an important aspect of maintaining a healthy back. These exercises should be performed every day to achieve the optimal goal.
Stand with feet shoulder-width apart. Then, take a half-step back with the right foot, bend the left knee and shift weight back to the right hip. While keeping the right leg straight, bend forward and reach down the right leg until a stretch in the outer hip is felt. This stretch maintains the flexibility of the spine.
Super Man Stretch
Lying on your stomach your arms straight ahead of you and you legs straight behind you, as if you were making a big letter I. Then lift your feet off the ground and so your legs are parallel, but off the ground and lift up with your chest and arms off the ground. Look out head of you as if you were flying like superman.
Knee to Chest Stretch
While lying on the back with the knees bent and both heels on the floor, place both hands behind one knee and bring it to the chest.
Piriformis Muscle Stretch
Lie on the back and cross one leg over the other and gently pull the other knee toward the chest until a stretch is felt in the buttock area.
Lie on your back then raise one leg as high as you can. Keep your pelvis flat on the floor and your knee straight. Put your hands on your lower thigh to further move the leg towards your head.
Every stretch (or position) must be held for thirty seconds, for three to five repetitions.
Ways to Prevent Lumbar Muscle Strain
The following are tips that can help prevent low back pain:
- Squat before lifting a heavy object rather than bending at the waist.
- Avoid twisting around and don’t over reach.
- Always keep the object close to your body when lifting.
- Postural awareness. Maintain a good posture when standing or sitting.
- Use a support like a rolled up towel to support the lower back when sitting for prolonged periods.
- Strengthen the abdominal muscles to provide more stability to the spine.
- Warm up before performing any activity or exercise.
- Keep a healthy weight to avoid putting stress on the lower back.
- Mobilize the spine and exercise regularly.
- Avoid sleeping on stomach. It brings unwanted stress to the back muscles.
- Stop doing the activities that caused lumbar muscle strain in the first place.
- Avoid stress. It causes muscle tension.